Monday, April 5, 2010

Julie Newmar - Catwoman

The next autograph I have to show you is actually one of my most recent through-the-mail successes, Julie Newmar, who played Catwoman in the 1960's Batman TV show.

Here she is during a photoshoot in the 1960's.


For those of you who aren't familiar with the Batman TV series, it ran for 3 seasons, from January 1966 until March 1968, and also included a feature film in between the 1st and 2nd seasons. It was a worldwide hit and made stars out of the two leads, Adam West as Batman, and Burt Ward as Robin. The show also had some of the biggest names in showbusiness as villains, such as Cesar Romero as the Joker, Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, and Vincent Price as Egghead.

I was born in 1980, far too late to watch the show during it's original run, but thanks to Foxtel, I can now watch it every Saturday and Sunday morning on Fox Classics. My daughters love it!

Now, Julie Newmar was the first of 3 actresses to play the role of Catwoman during the 60's, the second being Lee Meriwether in the feature film, and Eartha Kitt in Season 3. I always thought Newmar was the best, which is why I wrote to her.

Which Catwoman do YOU prefer?
Julie Newmar


Lee Meriwether


Eartha Kitt


Julie Newmar also had a cameo in the low budget bio-pic Return To The Batcave, which included a cringe-worthy dance-scene between herself and Adam West. The movie is actually very good, and the actors playing Adam West, Burt Ward, etc all did a very good job in the roles. Check it out, it's camp, but it's good (just like Batman, actually).

Anyway, back to the autograph... I wrote a letter to her in 2002, with a self-addressed envelope and an international reply coupon, and I received the autograph 7 years later, making it (to date) my longest wait for a positive reply. But, it's a great autograph...



Although, I would've liked her to have written "To Manuel, Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar" but still, it's great nontheless.

1 comment:

  1. Lee Merriweather is my favourite. Just to spite you Man. :)

    ReplyDelete