Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Martina Hingis

Next on my list of celebrity autographs is former Women's World Number 1 Tennis Champion, and my favourite player of all time, Martina Hingis.



Hingis was born in 1980 (like me!) in Slovakia, and represented Switzerland on the international stage. She spent a total of 209 weeks as World Number 1, won 5 Grand Slam singles titles, and 9 Grand Slam doubles titles.

Not only was she a fantastic player, but she was also very outspoken. Noticibly towards other players such as Steffi Graf "She is old now. Her time has passed.", Amelie Mauresmo "She's here with her girlfriend. She's half a man already.", and also Anna Kournikova "What rivalry? I win all the matches".



And I'm not even going to discuss what she said about the Williams sisters. Look it up.

In 2007 she tested positive for cocaine during that years Wimbledon tournament, and thusly retired from the sport before any ban could begin. But by then she'd already won over $20 million US.

Now, onto the autograph. During her playing career I wrote to her via the Swiss Tennis Institute and requested an autograph. Not long later I received this in the mail:



Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment